Year 11 Extension 1 Mathematics
- Functions and Relations (including absolute value functions)
- Plane Geometry
- Quadratic Polynomials
- Coordinate Geometry
- Trigonometric Ratios
- Further Trigonometry (including 3D Trigonometry)
- Locus and Parabola
- Introductory Calculus
- Circle Geometry
- Parametric Representation
- Geometrical Application of Differentiation
Pinnacle’s Maths Extension 1 course covers the requirements for both the Year 11 Maths Advanced and Extension 1 Syllabus prescribed by the NSW Board of Studies.
Pinnacle offers an Accelerated Program for students who demonstrated a robust understanding of the Stage 5 Mathematics 5.3 Syllabus and a strong problem solving ability. Students under the Accelerated Program will learn at least one term ahead of school and spend a significant amount of time working through the hardest exam problems in both past trial papers from NSW’s top selective schools and HSC papers. This program is for students who aim to become the top 5% of the state in both the Maths Advanced and Maths Extension 1 course. Students planning to take up Maths Extension 2 in Year 12 are also recommended to join the Accelerated Program.
Students are required to attend a 2.5 hour lesson per week, which includes:
- 10 - 15 minutes weekly quiz where students complete real past exam questions under exam pressure. Students will receive their mark and feedback in the same lesson.
- 2 hours theory coverage - this component is conducted in an interactive and informal environment where students work through many examples and are challenged with difficult exam style questions throughout the lesson. At Pinnacle, we believe that limited knowledge is conveyed in lecture-styled lessons and students retain the most knowledge when they are actively involved during the class.
During these weekly lessons, students will develop an in-depth understanding of all topics prescribed by the Year 11 Maths Advanced and Extension 1 Syllabus as well as a range mathematical skills and techniques to prepare them for the HSC exams. Pinnacle’s Year 11 Maths Extension 1 Course place particular emphasis on the development of critical thinking skills to solve unfamiliar and challenging problems independently. The development of this ability is crucial to achieving the top band results and this is what distinguishes the top 5% of students from their peers.
All students in Pinnacle's Maths Extension 1 course receive the following:
- Theory booklets specifically built for each topic containing critical theory components and an abundance of examples to be worked through in class. The booklets offer students an in-depth knowledge and understanding of all topics from the Year 11 Maths Advanced and Maths Extension 1 Syllabus prescribed by the NSW Board of Studies.
- Homework booklets and exam-style exercise booklets - students are assigned homework from both types of booklets each week to develop their understanding of new theory and problem solving skills
- By-topic revision booklets are distributed around school assessment time based on the topics each individual student is getting assessed on. These booklets contain past HSC exam questions regularly used by school teachers to set assessments and exams.
- Out of class help and support – Pinnacle run weekly homework help sessions and a 24-hour online support forum for all students. We understand the frustration of being stuck on a question and we want to support all of our students in every way possible within our abilities.
- Relevant and flexible topics - topics will be tailored for each class according to the students’ assessment requirements and their school progress.