Year 12 hsc cHEMISTRY
Production of Materials
The Acidic Environment
Chemical Monitoring and Management
Shipwreck and Corrosion
Students are required to attend a 2.5 hour lesson per week, which includes:
- 10 - 15 minutes weekly quiz where students complete real past exam questions under exam pressure. Students will receive their mark and feedback in the same lesson.
- 2hours theory coverage - this component is conducted in an interactive and informal environment where students work through many examples and are challenged with difficult exam style questions throughout the lesson. At Pinnacle, we believe that limited knowledge is conveyed in lecture-styled lessons and students retain the most knowledge when they are actively involved during the class.
During these weekly lessons, students will develop an in-depth knowledge and understanding of all syllabus dot points and outcomes for each module prescribed by the NSW Board of Studies. Students learn to describe and explain Chemistry concepts in a succinct, logical and sequential manner using a variety of scientific formats including diagrams, graphs, tables and flow charts. Particular emphasis is place on the development of critical thinking skills to solve complex problems independently, preparing students for school assessments.
We maintain an open class environment that encourages students to ask questions and participate in class discussions. Student interaction is an essential part of the learning process and we make sure all students feel included in the class environment, such that they aren't hesitant to ask questions when they encounter difficulty.
Content is always taught from first-principles with a strong emphasis on understanding underlying mechanisms and concepts. Our teachers take a holistic approach in viewing the syllabus, and we draw links to the real world or greater implications and relevance to get students to appreciate the importance of what they are learning.
All students in Pinnacle's Chemistry course receive the following:
- Theory booklets specifically built for each topic containing critical theory components and an abundance of examples to be worked through in class. The booklets offer students an in-depth knowledge and understanding of all topics from the Year 12 Chemistry Syllabus prescribed by the NSW Board of Studies. Our notes are carefully designed with exam-preparation in mind, and sets out exactly what the students need to know in order to do well in exams.
- Homework booklets – Pinnacle’s homework booklets includes an abundance of past exam questions used by teachers to set assessment tasks. Students are assigned homework each week to develop their understanding of new theory and problem solving skills
- Revision booklets - revision classes are conducted at the end of every module, as well as before major assessment periods such as the half yearlies and HSC trial exams.
- Out of class help and support – Pinnacle run weekly homework help sessions for all students. We understand the frustration of being stuck on a question and we want to support all of our students in every way possible within our abilities.
- Relevant and flexible topics - topics will be tailored for each class according to the students’ assessment requirements and their school progress.