Year 9 Mathematics (Accelerated)
The Accelerated Program is recommended for all students with strong maths abilities and is planning to undertake the Maths Extension 1 Course in Year 11. The Pinnacle Mathematics Course covers all topics from the Year 10 NSW Maths Syllabus for Stage 5.3 under the new Australian National Curriculum. In the last term of the year, we will begin the Year 11 Maths Extension 1 Course content.
- Financial Mathematics
- Binomial Products
- Factorisation Techniques
- Linear Equations and Inequalities
- Surface Area and Volume
- Geometry Reasoning
- Coordinate Geometry*
- Quadratic Equation – Including Sketching of Parabolas*
- Simultaneous Equations*
* Indicate Year 10 Maths Topics
Students are required to attend a 2 hour lesson per week, which includes:
- 10 - 15 minutes weekly quiz where students complete real past exam questions under exam pressure. Students will receive their mark and feedback in the same lesson.
- 1.5 hours theory coverage - this component is conducted in an interactive and informal environment where students work through many examples and are challenged with difficult exam style questions throughout the lesson. At Pinnacle, we believe that limited knowledge is conveyed in lecture-styled lessons and students retain the most knowledge when they are actively involved during the class.
During these weekly lessons, students will develop an in-depth understanding of all topics prescribed by the Year 9 and Year 10 (partial) NSW Maths Syllabus for Stage 5.3 under the new Australian National Curriculum.
Students under the Accelerated Program will learn at least one term ahead of school and spend a significant amount of time working through the hardest exam problems in past school maths exam papers.
The focus of this course is to challenge students who have a strong understanding of foundational mathematical concepts in the Stage 5 Maths Syllabus. It is aimed at the development of critical thinking and problem solving skills, necessary for students planning to undertake the Year 11 Maths Extension 1 course. The student will develop the following:
- A strong conceptual understanding of the mathematics concepts rather than memorising the formulae
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Mathematical techniques and methodologies for breaking down difficult exam questions
- Exam techniques through weekly quizzes and school exam preparation with past assessment papers from various selective schools
- Interest and motivation in mathematics
All students in Pinnacle's Year 9 Mathematics (Accelerated) course receive the following:
- Theory booklets specifically built for each topic containing critical theory components and an abundance of examples to be worked through in class. The booklets offer students an in-depth knowledge and understanding of all topics from the Year 10 NSW Maths Syllabus for Stage 5.3 under the new Australian National Curriculum.
- Homework booklets - students are assigned homework each week to develop their understanding of new theory and problem solving skills
- Past exam papers – usually distributed around assessment times, these past papers provide students with ample opportunity to practice exam style questions and develop exam techniques
- Out of class help and support – Pinnacle run weekly homework help sessions to support students outside of the classroom.. We understand the frustration of being stuck on a question and we want to support all of our students in every way possible within our abilities.
- Relevant and flexible topics - topics will be tailored for each class according to the students’ assessment requirements and their school progress.