Year 12 Advanced Mathematics
- Geometrical Applications of Differentiation
- Series and Sequences
- Exponential Functions
- Logarithmic Functions
- Trigonometric Functions
- Rates of Change
- Exponential Growth and Decay
- Motion - Straight Line Motion
Students are required to attend a 2.5 hour lesson per week, which includes:
- 10 - 15 minutes weekly quiz where students complete real past exam questions under exam pressure. Students will receive their mark and feedback in the same lesson.
- 2 hours theory coverage - this component is conducted in an interactive and informal environment where students work through many examples and are challenged with difficult exam style questions throughout the lesson. At Pinnacle, we believe that limited knowledge is conveyed in lecture-styled lessons and students retain the most knowledge when they are actively involved during the class.
During these weekly lessons, students will develop an in-depth understanding of all topics prescribed by the Year 12 Maths Advanced Syllabus as well as a range mathematical skills and techniques to prepare them for the HSC exams. We recognise that students who chose the Maths Advanced course may have weaker critical thinking and problem solving skills compared to their peers who also study Maths Extension 1. Pinnacle’s Year 12 Maths Advanced Course is therefore specifically designed to help students maximise their HSC mark through a two-step process:
- Mastering the Easy Questions - approximately 70% to 80% of the questions in the final HSC exam would be considered to be "standard questions". This means a student who has practised with sufficient amount of past exam questions should be able to replicate a similar approach and answer these questions with high accuracy. In addition, all students will develop techniques to minimise silly mistakes as well strategies to obtain the easy marks within the harder questions.
- Deciphering and solving the harder questions - generally speaking, there is always a few of topics which are tested exclusively in the harder questions. Therefore, at Pinnacle, we teach specific techniques targeted to questions from those topics. Moreover, students are also taught strategies for picking clues and guidance from exam questions which is key to answering the harder questions.
All students in Pinnacle's Maths Advanced course receive the following:
- Theory booklets specifically built for each topic containing critical theory components and an abundance of examples to be worked through in class. The booklets offer students an in-depth knowledge and understanding of all topics from the Year 12 Maths Advanced Syllabus prescribed by the NSW Board of Studies.
- Homework booklets and exam-style exercise booklets - students are assigned homework from both types of booklets each week to develop their understanding of new theory and problem solving skills
- By-topic revision booklets are distributed around school assessment time based on the topics each individual student is getting assessed on. These booklets contain past HSC exam questions regularly used by school teachers to set assessments and exams.
- Out of class help and support – Pinnacle run weekly homework help sessions for all students. We understand the frustration of being stuck on a question and we want to support all of our students in every way possible within our abilities.
- Relevant and flexible topics - topics will be tailored for each class according to the students’ assessment requirements and their school progress.