Year 9 Mathematics
The Pinnacle Mathematics Course covers all topics from the Year 9 NSW Maths Syllabus for Stage 5.2 and 5.3 under the new Australian National Curriculum.
- Algebraic Techniques
- Binomial Products
- Factorisation Techniques
- Linear Equations and Inequalities
- Numbers of Any Magnitude
- Surface Area and Volume
- Geometry Reasoning
- Financial Mathematics
Students are required to attend a 2 hour lesson per week, which includes:
- 10 - 15 minutes weekly quiz where students complete real past exam questions under exam pressure. Students will receive their mark and feedback in the same lesson.
- 1.5 hours theory coverage - this component is conducted in an interactive and informal environment where students work through many examples. At Pinnacle, we believe that limited knowledge is conveyed in lecture-styled lessons and students retain the most knowledge when they are actively involved during the class.
During these weekly lessons, students will develop an in-depth understanding of all topics prescribed by the Year 9 NSW Maths Syllabus for Stage 5.2 and 5.3 under the new Australian National Curriculum.
The focus of this course is to build a strong foundation in conceptual understanding of maths topics included in the Stage 5 Syllabus. As maths is so interconnected between topics, our Year 9 Mathematics Course focuses heavily on getting the fundamentals right, which will be of greater benefit in the long run. The student will develop the following:
- A strong conceptual understanding of the mathematics concepts rather than memorising the formulae
- Problem solving skills
- Exam techniques through weekly quizzes and school exam preparation with past assessment papers from various selective schools
- Interest and motivation in mathematics
All students in Pinnacle's Year 9 Mathematics course receive the following:
- Theory booklets specifically built for each topic containing critical theory components and an abundance of examples to be worked through in class. The booklets offer students an in-depth knowledge and understanding of all topics from the Year 9 NSW Maths Syllabus for Stage 5.2 and 5.3 under the new Australian National Curriculum.
- Homework booklets - students are assigned homework each week to develop their understanding of new theory and problem solving skills
- Past exam papers – usually distributed around assessment times, these past papers provide students with ample opportunity to practice exam style questions and develop exam techniques
- Out of class help and support – Pinnacle run weekly homework help sessions to support students outside of the classroom. We understand the frustration of being stuck on a question and we want to support all of our students in every way possible within our abilities.
- Relevant and flexible topics - topics will be tailored for each class according to the students’ assessment requirements and their school progress.